Don’t let quiche frighten you. You will find quiche is a delicious and economical meal that the entire family will enjoy. Experiment by incorporating different cheeses and adding left over roasted vegetables. It is also a great dish for introducing meatless dishes into your cooking repertoire. Quiche is wonderful dish for a potluck or brunch that is tasty straight from the oven or served at room temperature.
Pie Crust Ingredient
1 cup unbleached white whole wheat flour
1/3 cup Crisco shortening
1 t. kosher salt
4 to 6 T. of ice cold water
Quiche Filling Ingredients
1 diced medium yellow onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 diced roasted red bell pepper
1 package of frozen spinach
1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
1 cup shredded white cheddar
1 t. kosher salt
1 t. fresh ground black pepper
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
(Optional) *1/2 cup crispy bacon, roasted chicken and/or ham
*oven roasted potatoes or cauliflower make a wonderful meat substitute*
Pie Crust Instructions
1. In a small bowl, add flour, kosher salt, and Crisco. Cut in Crisco with a fork or pastry cutter into coarse crumbs.
2. Sprinkle 4 T. of ice cold water over the mix and stir with a fork. Add more water one tablespoon at a time until dough comes together firmly.
3. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface till it is 3 inches larger that the pie plate.
4. Fold the dough in half and place over pie plate. Unfold the dough in pie plate and trim edges to fit pie plate. Decorate the edges to suit your needs.
Quiche Filling Directions
1. Saute diced onions, over medium heat, until soft and clear in a skillet. Add garlic, red bell pepper, and reduce heat.
2. Defrost frozen spinach and squeeze out excess liquid. Add frozen spinach to skillet and combine to form spinach mix.
3. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool.
4. In a medium size bowl, combine eggs, milk, and stock to form egg mix. Add shredded cheeses, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and optional meat to the egg mix. Then add spinach mix to egg mix and fold together with a spatula.
5. Pour into the prepared pie crust.
6. Back at 350F for 45 minutes to 55 minute until a toothpick or knife comes out of the center clean. Check quiche at 30 minutes to make sure the crust is not too brown. You can always cover the pie crust with foil or a pie crust shield; this is a wonderful tool for your kitchen.
Serve hot or at room temperature with a baby green salad and fresh vinaigrette. Enjoy!